Photo Courtesy Julie Steele
The signs say: Miss Maggie Rose 2-A Grade & April 1897 Watkins School Nashville Tenn
Warner School on Russel Street
Photo from Friends of Metropolitan Archives of Nashville and Davidson County, TN
East Nashville Fire
Class from Warner School in the 1950’s
In 1865, William E. Ward and his wife, Eliza Hudson Ward, opened Ward Seminary for Young Ladies in Nashville, Tennessee, to offer “a full and thorough course of instruction, embracing academic and collegiate work.”
In 1870, the Educational Bureau in Washington, D.C., ranked Ward Seminary among the top three educational institutions for women in the nation. The school also placed emphasis on athletics, organizing the first girls’ varsity basketball team in the South and one of the first in the nation.
Belmont College for Young Women, founded by Susan L. Heron and Ida E. Hood, opened on September 4, 1890. Modeled on the women’s colleges of the Northeast, the school was established on a 15-acre site centered on Belmont, the home of Adelicia Hayes Acklen Cheatham, which was built in 1850.
Ward Seminary and Belmont College for Young Women merged in 1913 to form Ward-Belmont, the first junior college in the South to receive full accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. By the 1920s, it had an enrollment of more than 1,200 women.
8th Avenue (Spruce Street)
- This was located at Second and Lindsley in South Nashville and covered city blocks between Lindsley (South Market street) and Middleton. Although, only one of the University buildings remains today and houses metro offices (the one shown in your photograph) there were two other dorm buildings on campus. One was called Lindsley Hall. Other buildings on campus was the original Mongomery Bell Academy that was a prep school for the University, The chancellor’s residence at the Lindsley ave entrance, and another brick home type near Middleton which was part of the Peabody college development I believe. I believe that Adolphis Heiman (a Prominent Nashville Architect of that period designed many of theÊ buildings on the campus. -Jim Stephens
Davidson Academy became Davidson College in 1803 and Cumberland College in 1806. Lack of funds closed it in 1816. It reopened in 1822 and became the University of Nashville in 1826. One of its developments was Peabody College for Teachers, which went to its present location in 1911.
It seems later on this building was intended to be part of the failed Galloway Hospital project.
Belle H. Bennett Memorial – Scarritt College for Christian Workers
1008 19th Ave. South
“The Belle H. Bennett Memorial constitutes the central group of buildings of Scarritt college for christian Workers. It was erected from funds raised by the women of the methodist Episcopal Church, South, in honor of Belle H. Bennett of Kentucky, who was the founder of the institution. It has been widely recognized as one of the most beautiful group of education buildings in this country”
Scarritt Bible and Training School was founded in Kansas City, Missouri for the purpose of training young women who were going into mission work.
In 1924 the school moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and became Scarritt College for Christian Workers. The administration Building, Bennett Hall, and the Tower, known collectively as the Belle Bennett Memorial were built in 1928 with funds raised by the Women’s Missionary Societies and the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1952 the college became the first white, private college in Tennessee to admit Black students who were U. S. citizens, and in 1964 , when National College in Kansas City closed, the alumni/ae records and a staff person came to Scarritt.
In 1980 The Scarritt College for Christian Workers closed and The Scarritt Graduate School was opened in 1981. Both schools served to educate and train students for international and domestic church and community positions. In its last years as Scarritt Graduate School, the school conferred degrees in Church Music and Christian Education. In 1988 , due to low enrollment, Scarritt Graduate School closed. It was then that The Women’s Division, affiliated with the General Board of Global Ministries of United Methodist Church, bought the property; renovated the buildings; and opened Scarritt-Bennett Center. -source-