“Nashville’s Jewish community began in the 1840s. Many early families were immigrants fleeing oppression in Germany, Russia, and Poland. Completed in 1876, the Vine Street Temple, with nine Byzantine domes was Nashville’s first synagogue, for 80 years a symbol of the city’s strong Jewish presence. In 1955, the Reform congregation moved to West Nashville where it and other Jewish congregations continue today. Location: Commerce Street and Seventh Avenue, North”
from Metropolitan Historic Commisson
The Temple is the oldest and largest Jewish house of worship in Nashville. Congregation Ohabai Sholom was established in 1851 and was known as the Vine Street Temple. When the Union of American Hebrew Congregations was formed in 1873, the Temple was one of its founding members.