Harvey’s Has It!
Photo from “Yesterday’s Nashville-Carl Zibart”
Fred Harvey bought Denton and company on church street January 18, 1942 at 39 years of age.
He was formerly a Marshall Field & Co. head of women’s and children’s apparel and was also formerly with Lord and Taylor, Fifth Ave New York.
E.C. Denton of Ohio had bought the store two years earlier from the dissolution of Lebeck Brothers and put his son E. J. Denton to manage it.
November 1945 Harvey announced his expansion plans. He will take possession of space at 6th and Church on January 1, 1946. This space was occupied by Liggett drugs and also a Warner drug store also on Church. An overhead glass-enclosed walkway between the buildings was planned
June 24, 1946
Notice that the face of the ribbon cutter and two dignitaries are obscured. The Banner photographer was on the escalator waiting for the cut. What he didn’t know was that at the moment of cutting, the escalator was to be turned on. So by the time he hit the shutter, he was a couple of feet higher than he had planned.
The Starlight Room
Nashville Clarksville Madison
image courtesy William Weems
Harveys was a department store located in downtown Nashville, Tennessee. It was opened by Fred Harvey in 1946. During the 1950s and 1960s, the downtown area of Nashville was a popular shopping destination, with numerous stores and restaurants lining the area around Church Street. As malls began luring shoppers to the suburbs, Harveys, along with many other downtown stores, went out of business.
The store’s decor featured several carousel horses which had been salvaged from Glendale Park, a local amusement park that closed during the Great Depression. The store was also known for its lavish Christmas decorations as well as the annual nativity scene it sponsored in Centennial Park.
In 1960, Harveys, along with several other downtown Nashville stores, was the site of sit-in demonstrations, in which local college students protested against racially segregated lunch-counters. Harveys officially desegregated its lunch-counters on May 10, 1960.
Max, Benny & Beverly 1965
Photo courtesy Chip Curley