On May 16, 1889 a 45-feet-tall
Confederate Monument was dedicated in
Nashville’s Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
The monument stands in the center of a circular plot within which about
1,500 Confederate soldiers are buried.
– From Nashville Historic newsletter.
In 1869, the Ladies’ Memorial Society of Nashville purchased a circular burial ground at the highest point in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Confederate Circle became the final resting place for more the 1,500 Confederate Soldiers who died in battles that took place in the Nashville Area. The Ladies’ Memorial Society included such prominent citizens as Mrs. James K. Polk, and Felicia Grundy Porter. The association reserved a large center section for a monument that they hope to build later. Thirteen Rows of grave encircle the central square. The first six rows contain the graves of Confederate soldier who were from outside of Tennessee. The seventh row contains the graves of the Unknown and the remaining rows contain the grave of the Confederate Soldiers from Tennessee. Seven Confederate generals are buried in or around the circle. They are William B. Bate, William N.R, Bealle, Benjamin Franklin Cheatham, William H. Jackson, George E. Maney, James E. Rains, and Thomas Benton Smith. Other prominent Nashville Confederates, Colonels Adolphus Heiman and Randall McGavock, lie nearby. On May 16, 1889, a 45-foot high monument of Vermont Granite was dedicated at the center of Confederate Circle. At the top of the monument stands a 9-foot statue of a Confederate Soldier.