on the southeast corner of Fourth Avenue,North,
and Cedar (Charlotte) Street.
By 1919 Henry Allen Boyd, a successful black business leader turned the Duncan into the
Henry Allen Boyd was born in Grimes County, Texas, in 1876. He was the son of Richard Henry and Hattie Boyd. His father came to Nashville in November of 1896 and founded the National Baptist Publishing Board. Henry Allen later came to Nashville to help his father. Before moving from his native Texas, Henry Allen served as a postal clerk in San Antonio. He became an ordained minister in 1904. Boyd served with his father as the assistant secretary of the National Baptist Publishing Board.
During the period of 1905-1910, Henry Allen Boyd became a local leader in his own right. Boyd became executive secretary of the Colored Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). Boyd and other prominent black businessmen restored the Colored YMCA in 1914 and led a drive to raise funds to buy a permanent home for the organization. Before the end of World War One, Boyd and his group moved the Colored YMCA into a permanent home, the old Duncan Hotel on the southeast corner of Fourth Avenue,North, and Cedar (Charlotte) Street.
After 1912, Boyd edited the Nashville newspaper, The Globe (l905-1959) and presided over the Globe Publishing Company. The most powerful and consistent newspaper black Nashville had seen, The Globe began with the effort to publicize Nashville’s 1905 black streetcar boycott. TheGlobe became the voice, conscience, and “riot for the black community. Its pages documented the religious, social, cultural, political, and economic life of a thriving southern community. TheGlobe’s editorials criticized those who oppressed black people, praised men and women who made good examples for the black race, opposed Jim Crowism and racism, promoted morality and religion, encouraged blacks to continue participating in politics, and pushed city authorities and black businessmen to improve local living conditions. In 1909 Henry Allen Boyd, Ben Carr, and others successfully helped to persuade the state to build the Negro State Normal School in Davidson County. During the Great World War, Boyd helped to lead the black community in patriotic endeavors. He headed bond drives, visit local black troops in northern training camps,increase the Colored YMCA’s services to black soldiers, and carried government advertisements in The Globe for Liberty Bonds and military recruits.
Later the One Cent Bank (changed to “Citizens Bank” in 1920) was located in the Duncan building until 1972.