Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Houses of Worship’ Category

Russel Street

Sometime in the 1900s.  Tulip Street United Methodist in center.

Read Full Post »

First Baptist Church (dedicated in 1886)
Broadway and Vine (7th Ave)



First Baptist Web Site || History of the Church


Image from Harper’s Weekly June 11, 1887


Broadway and Vine (7th Ave)

Photo courtesy Mike Slate

Looking at 1st Baptist from beside Hume Fogg school.

In the early 70’s all but the spire was demolished and a modern building was erected.


Read Full Post »

vinestreet13vinestreet22

“Nashville’s Jewish community began in the 1840s. Many early families were immigrants fleeing oppression in Germany, Russia, and Poland. Completed in 1876, the Vine Street Temple, with nine Byzantine domes was Nashville’s first synagogue, for 80 years a symbol of the city’s strong Jewish presence. In 1955, the Reform congregation moved to West Nashville where it and other Jewish congregations continue today. Location: Commerce Street and Seventh Avenue, North”
from Metropolitan Historic Commisson

—-

The Temple is the oldest and largest Jewish house of worship in Nashville. Congregation Ohabai Sholom was established in 1851 and was known as the Vine Street Temple. When the Union of American Hebrew Congregations was formed in 1873, the Temple was one of its founding members.
from templenashville.org

– Here’s a link to the current congregation –

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts