Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Houses’ Category

Miles of View

From a book published by First American National Bank called “Homes of Tennessee” in 1956
milesofview-1

Miles of View
Home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry W. Boyd, Jr. Nashville
Miles of View, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry W. Boyd, Jr., is an estate of fifty-three acres located at 1304 Chickering Road (Belle Meade). With an abundance of forest trees and planting, there is a widespread view from this home, on the rise of a hill, of the surrounding hills and countryside.
Near this home is a lake for fishing.

milesofview_2

Read Full Post »

Ashlawn

Ashlawn

From a book published by First American National Bank
called “Homes of Tennessee” in 1956

Ashlawn, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Stirton Oman, was built at the same time as the Hermitage (1832-34) by a Mr. Christmas. It has double parlors and trim like the Hermitage, but the circular stairway rises three stories where the Hermitage only rises two. The ceilings are thirteen feet.

In 1945 Mr. and Mrs. Stirton Oman remodeled and modernized this house, keeping the original design and trim. This estate comprises seven hundred and fifty acres and is located on the Franklin Road. Its address is Route 2, Brentwood, Tennessee.

Read Full Post »

CaptainDriverHome

THE OLD HOME OF CAPTAIN (William) DRIVER AT NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE, FROM THE UPPER WINDOWS OF WHICH ‘OLD GLORY‘ WAS SUSPENDED” (formerly located at 511 Fifth Ave, S, near the intersection of Peabody St., Nashville, TN

wmdriver-original-old-glory

Read Full Post »

2202606 Boscobel Street, birthplace of Jesse Edward James, son of Jesse James, born 8/31/1875
Photo Tennessee State Library & Archive

.

Read Full Post »

Kingsley

kingsley

From a book published by First American National Bank called “Homes of Tennessee” in 1956

Don’t know anything about this home. Anyone know where it was/is?

Uniquely beautiful and artistically surrounded by formal gardens, Kingley, located in Davidson County, was originally the home of Thomas Seawell King, Esq. Today it is owned by Mrs. Weaver Harris. Built in 1832, this historic mansion overlooked the scene of many engagements during the war between the states. The house escaped permanent damage an its present front fence is the only cedar fence between Nashville and Murfreesboro left standing by Federal forces. Today, over a hundred years of wars and winds, of famine and pestilence have left Kingsley unchanged from its original lines. It has stood the test of time.

Read Full Post »

Belle Vue

belle-vueFrom a book published by First American National Bank called “Homes of Tennessee” in 1956

Belle Vue Nashville Built in 1840 by Robert Woods, charming old Belle Vue has been occupied by five generations of the same family since its purchase by W. T. Berry in 1848. It was used for the quartering of Union troops during the War between the States. Among noted personages who lived at Belle Vue during the past was Wilkins Tannehill, father of Mrs. Berry, generally recognized as the Father of Education in Nashville. He was joint host with Andrew Jackson at the Grand Masonic Ball at Nashville, given in honor of the Marquis de LaFayette, in 1825. Over one hundred years old, and having been truly tested by the forces of time, Belle Vue, owned and occupied by Mrs. Bruce Douglas, is indeed a landmark in the history of the glorious past, as well as of vital present service.

Read Full Post »

Wildings

Wildings1
wilding2

From a book published by First American National Bank called “Homes of Tennessee” in 1956
1925 East Greenwood Avenue

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »