East End United Methodist Church
1212 Holly St
click here for larger view
“East End Methodist Church was established in 1889, but it soon outgrew the first building it constructed at 1100 Fatherland… In 1905, the congregation purchased the land on Holly Street for $2,500 and funded the $14,000 needed to start basic construction. On Oct. 27, 1907, the sanctuary was complete and a capacity crowd attended worship service and laid the cornerstone.
The pipe organ, which is still used today, was purchased in 1912 for $2,000. Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated $1,000, while the congregation provided the other $1,000 by pledging one penny for each year of their age and each inch of their height.”